Tuesday, December 23, 2014

All This is from His Goodness

Julian of Norwich (1342-1416) was a Christian mystic. She lived in a cell attached to the church. At the age of 30, suffering from a severe illness and believing she was dying, she had a series of visions which she recorded soon after, and then, after reflecting on them for twenty years, she wrote an expanded version. These are called "Revelations of Divine Love".

Fifth Showing
...Our good Lord showed to me a spiritual vision of His simple loving. 
I saw that He is to us everything that is good and comfortable for us.
He is our clothing which for love enwraps us,  holds us, and all encloses us because of His Tender love,
so that He may never leave us.
And so in this showing I saw that He is to us everything that is good, as I understand it.
Also in this revelation He showed a little thing, the size of a hazelnut in the palm of my hand, and it was as round as a ball.
I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought:
"What can this be?"
And it was generally answered thus: "It is all that is made."
I marveled how it could continue,
 Because it seemed to me it could suddenly have sunk into nothingness because of its littleness.
And I was answered in my understanding:
"It continues and always shall, because God loves it; 
and in this way everything hath its being by the love of God."
In this little thing I saw three characteristics:
the first is that God made it,
the second is that God loves it,
the third, that God keeps it.
But what did I observe in that?
Truly the Maker, the Lover, and the Keeper for,
until I am in essence one-ed to Him,
I can never have full rest nor true joy
(that is to say,  until I am made so fast to Him that there is absolutely nothing that is created separating my God and myself.)
It is necessary for us to have awareness  of the littleness of created things and to set at naught everything that is created, in order to love and have God who is uncreated.
For this is the reason why we are not fully at ease in heart and soul:
because here we seek rest in these things that are so little,
in which there is no rest,
and we recognize not our God who is all powerful, all wise, all
good, for He is the true rest.
God wishes to by known,
and He delights that we remain in Him,
because all that is less than He is not enough for us.
And this is the reason why no soul is at rest until it is emptied of everything that is created. When the soul is willingly emptied for love in order to have Him who is all, then is it able to receive spiritual rest.
Also our Lord God showed that it is full great pleasure to Him that a pitiable soul come to Him nakedly and plainly and simply. For this is the natural yearning of the soul,
Thanks to the touching of the Holy Spirit,
according to the understanding that I have in this showing -
"God, of Thy goodness, give me Thyself;
for Thou are enough to me,
and I can ask nothing that is less
that can be full honor to Thee.
And if I ask anything that is less,
ever shall I be in want,
for only in Thee have I all."
These words are full lovely to the soul and most nearly touch upon the will of God and His goodness, for His goodness fills all His creatures and all His blessed works, and surpasses them without end, for He is the endlessness.
And He has made us only for Himself
and restored us by His blessed passion
and ever keeps us in His blessed love.

And all this is from His goodness.

-- By Julian of Norwich

No comments: