Sunday, September 23, 2012

I am You


Neither I am me,
nor you are you,
nor you are me.

Also, I am me,
you are you
and you are me.

We have become one
in such a way,
That I am confused whether
I am you,
or you are me.

The Lovers
will drink wine night and day.
They will drink until they can
tear away the veils of intellect and
melt away the layers of shame and modesty.

When in Love,
body, mind, heart and soul don't even exist.
Become this,
fall in Love,
and you will not be separated again.

Do you know what you are?
You are a manuscript of a divine letter.
You are a mirror reflecting a noble face.
This universe is not outside of you.

Look inside yourself;
everything that you want,
you are already that.

Tonight
is the night.
It is the creation of that land of eternity.
It is not an ordinary night,
It is a wedding of those who seek unity.

Tonight, the bride and groom
speak in one tongue.
Tonight, the bridal chamber
is looking particularly bright.

Go ahead: ask me!
Ask me about Love,
and I will tell you the essence of madness.

Ask me of an intellect gone mad,
and I will show you a soul departed for good.

Ask me of a hundred calamities,
of a hundred life transformations.

Ask me of a hundred deserts engulfed in fire.

Ask me of a hundred oceans red with blood.

I am an atom;
you are like the countenance of the Sun for me.

I am a patient of Love
you are like medicine for me.
Without wings, without feathers,
I fly about looking for you.
I have become a rose petal
and you are like the wind for me.
Take me for a ride.

By day I praised you
and never knew it.

By night I stayed with you
and never knew it.

I always thought that
I was me–but no,

I was You
and never knew it.

---By Jalalud’din Rumi,
transl. by Shahram Shiva



No comments: