Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Who is at my door?

You said, "Who is at my door?"
I said, "Your slave."
You said, "What business do you have?"
I said, "To behold Your Countenance, and bow, O Lord."

You said, "How long will you journey on?"
I said, "Until you call."
You said, "How long will you boil in the fire?"
I said, "Until I am pure."

We talked through the door.

I claimed a great love.
I said, "This is my oath of love.
For the sake of love
I gave up wealth and position."

You said, "Such claims require a witness."
I said, "This longing , these tears;"
You said, "discredited witnesses!
your eyes are too wet to see."
I said, "By the splendor of Your Justice
my eyes are clear and faultless."

You said, "What do you seek?"
I said, "Friendship"
You said, "What do you want from me?"
I said, "Your abundant Grace."

You said, "Who was your companion on the Journey?
I said, "The remembrance of you, O Majestic King."
You said, "What called you here?"
I said, "The musk of Your wine was in the air."

You said, "What brings you the most fulfillment?"
I said, "The company of the Emperor."
You said, "What do you find there?"
I said, "A hundred miracles."

You said, "Why is the palace deserted?"
I said, "They all fear the thief."
You said, "Who is the thief?"
I said, "The one who keeps me from -You."

You said, "Where is there safety?"
I said, "In service and renunciation."
You said, "What is there to renounce?"
I said, "The hope of salvation."

You said, "Is there no threat of disaster?"
I said, "Only what comes in your street, inside your love."
You said, "How do you walk there?"
I said, "In holy perfection."

Now silence.
If I told more of this conversation,
those who listening, would leave themselves.
You would fly from your self and be gone,
and neither door nor roof could hold you back!

RUMI

No comments: