Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Devi Sukta

The powerful on his beauty hymn - Vāk sukta or Devi sukta. From the Rig Veda, Book 10, Hymn 125

Aham Rudrebhir vasubhir charami,
Aham aadhithyer uta vaisvadevaii,
Aham mithra varunobha bibharmi,
Aham indragni, aham ashvinobha.
 I TRAVEL with the Rudras and the Vasus, with the Ādityas and all Gods I wander. I hold aloft both Varuṇa and Mitra, Indra and Agni, and the Pair of Aśvins.
Aham somam ahaanasam bhibhrami
Aham thwashtaaramr utha pooshanam bhagam,
Aham dadhami dravinam havishmathe,
Supravye yajamanya sunwathe.
I cherish and sustain high-swelling Soma, and Tvaṣṭar I support, Pūṣan, and Bhaga. I load with wealth the zealous sacrificer who pours the juice and offers his oblation
Aham rashtri samgamani vasoonaam,
Chikithushee pradhamaa yagniyaanaam,
Thaam maa devaa vyadhaduha puruthra
Bhuristhathram bhooyar visayanthim.
I am the sovereign Queen, the bestower of all wealth, the most thoughtful, the first of those who merit worship, and the foremost of those to whom the sacrificial homage are submitted. The gods in all places worship me. I enter many homes; take numerous forms and permeate everything.
Mayaa so annamathi
yo vipasyathi ya pranithi
yaim shrunothi yuktham
amaanathvo maam tha upa kshiyanthi,
Shrudhi shruthi shraddivam they vadami
Whoever eats, breaths, sees, speaks or hears does it only through me. They know it not, but yet they all dwell in me. Hear, one and all, the truth as I declare it.
Aham yeva swayam idham vadhami,
Jushtam devebhir utha manushebhi,
Yam kaamaye tham tham ugram krunomi,
Tham brahmanam tham rishim tham sumedham
I, verily, myself announce and utter the word that Gods and men alike shall welcome. I make the man I love exceeding mighty, make him a sage, a Ṛṣi, and a Brahman.
Aham rudhraya dhanura thanomi,
Brahmadwishe sharave hanthava vu,
Aham janaaya samadham krunomi,
Aham dhyayaprithwi aa vivesha.
I bend the bow for Rudra that his arrow may strike and slay the hater of devotion. I rouse and order battle for the people, and I have penetrated Earth and Heaven.
Aham suvepitharamasya moordhan,
Mama yonir apswatha samudhre,
Thatho vi thishte bhuvananu vishwotha,
Amum dhyam varshamanopam vishva utha.
On the world's summit I bring forth the Father: my home is in the waters, in the ocean. Thence I extend over all existing creatures, and touch even yonder heaven with my forehead.
Ahameva vatham yiva vatha yiva pravami,
Arambhamana bhuvanani viswam,
Paro dhiva para yena prithwya,
Yaithavathi mahinaa sam bhabhoova.
I blow like the breath of life creating all the worlds. I give birth to infinite expanse overspreading the earth. I transcend the heaven and yonder, the earth below and all the worlds. I, in my mighty grandeur, hold together all  existence.

Om Deviyai Namah

No comments: