Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Five Prayers to Lord


The Exordium, The Koran 

1:1 In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Creation,
The compassionate, the Merciful,
King of Judgment-day!
You alone we worship, and to You alone
we pray for help.
Guide us to the straight path
The path of those whom You have favored,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

Parameshwara Stotra,  the prayer to the God Ultimate

Oh Lord of universe, Oh Lord of good people,
Oh source of everything, Oh supreme one,
Oh primeval God, Oh very holy one, Oh son, Oh father,
I pray, take care of this sinner who lacks wisdom and strength,
And help me cross this painful life which is difficult to cross. [...]
Oh God who helps people to cross this day to day life,
Who is the creator of the world, who liberates one from hell,
Who is the destroyer of the world and who uplifts sinners,
Oh God Shankara, please save this,
your slave from his existence.
Oh God who helps people to cross this day to day life,
I am very thirsty for life giving nectar of knowledge,
Oh infallible one, Oh blissful one,
please give it to me,
Who has lost everything due to a great delusion,
Oh giver of boons.
Oh God who helps people to cross this day to day life
I bow to you, I salute you, and
I salute the God who is the originator,
Oh God who removes the fear in the mind of animals who are born,
Oh God who is beyond qualities, Oh limitless one,
I surrender to you.

Siri Guru Granth Sahib, page 1251

Merciful God, keep all beings and creatures in your care.
Give them an abundance of grain and water; eliminate their pain and poverty;
ferry them across.
The Great Benefactor heard our cry;
the parched earth was rendered green and my smoldering heart was made cool.
Keep us in Your Embrace; remove all obstructions.
Nanak, stay immersed in the Name and be forever fulfilled.

Baluba prayer, Zaire

Lord God,
Give me a life, a strong life,
That I may flourish in health and light.
My sons and daughters belong to You.
They are Your children.
All that I have is Yours.
You are the Master.

Pater Noster, Matthew 6:9–13 (ESV)

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.

Amen.

No comments: