Saturday, December 8, 2012

Songs of Kabir

From Songs of Kabir, translated by Rabindranath Tagore

VI.I. 83. candâ jhalkai yahi ghat mâhîn...

The moon shines in my body, but my blind eyes cannot see it:
The moon is within me, and so is the sun.
The unstruck drum of Eternity is sounded within me;
but my deaf ears cannot hear it.
So long as man clamours for the I and the Mine,
his works are as naught:
When all love of the I and the Mine is dead,
then the work of the Lord is done.
For work has no other aim than the getting of knowledge:
When that comes, then work is put away.
The flower blooms for the fruit:
when the fruit comes, the flower withers.
The musk is in the deer, but it seeks it not within itself:
it wanders in quest of grass.

IX.I. 104. aisâ lo nahîn taisâ lo...

O How may I ever express that secret word?
O how can I say He is not like this, and He is like that?
If I say that He is within me, the universe is ashamed:
If I say that He is without me, it is falsehood.
He makes the inner and the outer worlds to be indivisibly one;
The conscious and the unconscious, both are His footstools.
He is neither manifest nor hidden,
He is neither revealed nor unrevealed:
There are no words to tell that which He is.

XCII.III. 110. carkhâ calai surat virahin kâ...

The woman who is parted from her lover spins at the spinning wheel.
The city of the body arises in its beauty;
and within it the palace of the mind has been built.
The wheel of love revolves in the sky,
and the seat is made of the jewels of knowledge:
What subtle threads the woman weaves,
and makes them fine with love and reverence!
Kabîr says:
"I am weaving the garland of day and night. When my Lover comes and touches me with His feet, I shall offer Him my tears."

XCIII.III. 111. kotîn bhânu candra târâgan...

Beneath the great umbrella of my King
millions of suns and moons and stars are shining!
He is the Mind within my mind:
He is the Eye within mine eye.
Ah, could my mind and eyes be one!
Could my love but reach to my Lover!
Could but the fiery heat of my heart be cooled!
Kabîr says:
"When you unite love with the Lover, then you have love's perfection."

XCVI.I. 75. samajh dekh man mît piyarwâ...

O friend, dear heart of mine, think well! if you love indeed,
then why do you sleep?
If you have found Him, then give yourself utterly,
and take Him to you.
Why do you loose Him again and again?
If the deep sleep of rest has come to your eyes,
why waste your time making the bed and arranging the pillows?
Kabîr says:
"I tell you the ways of love! Even though the head itself must be given,why should you weep over it?"

XCVII.II. 90. sâhab ham men, sâhab tum men...

The Lord is in me, the Lord is in you,
as life is in every seed.
O servant! put false pride away,
and seek for Him within you.
A million suns are ablaze with light,
The sea of blue spreads in the sky,
The fever of life is stilled,
and all stains are washed away;
when I sit in the midst of that world.
Hark to the unstruck bells and drums!
Take your delight in love!
Rains pour down without water,
and the rivers are streams of light.
One Love it is that pervades the whole world,
few there are who know it fully:
They are blind who hope to see it by the light of reason,
that reason which is the cause of separation--
The House of Reason is very far away!
How blessed is Kabîr,
that amidst this great joy he sings within his own vessel.
It is the music of the meeting of soul with soul;
It is the music of the forgetting of sorrows;
It is the music that transcends all coming in and all going forth.

XCIX.II. 111. Nârad, pyâr so antar nâhî...

Oh Narad! I know that my Lover cannot be far:
When my Lover wakes, I wake;
when He sleeps, I sleep.
He is destroyed at the root who gives pain to my Beloved.
Where they sing His praise, there I live;
When He moves, I walk before Him:
my heart yearns for my Beloved.
The infinite pilgrimage lies at His feet,
a million devotees are seated there.
Kabîr says:
"The Lover Himself reveals the glory of true love."

C.II. 122. kôî prem kî peng jhulâo re...

Hang up the swing of love to-day!
Hang the body and the mind between the arms of the Beloved,
in the ecstasy of love's joy:
Bring the tearful streams of the rainy clouds to your eyes,
and cover your heart with the shadow of darkness:
Bring your face nearer to His ear,
and speak of the deepest longings of your heart.
Kabîr says:
"Listen to me, brother!
Bring the vision of the Beloved in your heart."

No comments: